Here I show how to use Group Policy to set Windows Update settings.
This is using Windows 2008 Active Directory.
1) Create a security group for the to place computers to be updated -
2) I've chosen to create a GPO for the settings -
3) Navigate to -
Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Updates
Configure the settings as follows -
4) Configure Automatic Updates -
I've chosen to download and install every day at 20:00.
NB : If the download source is Windows Update then this would be a daft setting as it is uncontrollable.
I'm using an internal WSUS server to control updates so this setting will only apply updates at 20:00 on the day they have been authorized for the computer.
5) Specify intranet Microsoft update service location -
The address of the WSUS instance.
6) Automatic Updates detection frequency -
Fairly self explanatory, how often to check update source.
7) Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation -
Again, self explanatory - install straight after updates?
8) Enable client-side targeting -
Specify the group created in step 1.