Sunday 2 October 2011

SQLBits 9

The 9th SQLBits was held in Liverpool this weekend. Despite it being 226 miles away from home that was no deterant for a few days of quality SQL content, company and beer.

This was my 5th SQLBits and I volunteered to help. This meant room monitoring (helping spearkers, tidying up etc) , helping attendees (mainly find rooms) and other light duties. For me volunteering gave me a purpose between sessions. Knowing the distributed nature of my work meant I was not able to furfil purchases from the exhibiting vendors I prefered not to add myself (once again) to their mailing lists. There is also a limit to how many conference freebies even my kids would appreciate!

The volunteering meant some of my sessions were allocated for me. This was fine as volunteers had given session preferences so they wouldnt miss content they needed. Ensuring everything went smoothly was expertly organised by Annette Allen (@Mrs_Fatherjack). I'm already looking forward to SQLBits 10 and would encourage SQL Professionals to make this a regular date. As a learning and social experience, SQLBits (and the SQLBits community) rocks!

The sessions I attended this time round, were -

Performance tuning from the field
Simon Sabin

Lightning Talks
Various Speakers    

Myths and Monsters of Flash
Fusion-io

Advanced SQL Server 2008 Troubleshooting
Klaus Aschenbrenner

The Art of War-Fast Track Data Warehouse & Fragmentation
James Rowland-Jones

Designing an SSIS Framework
Andy Leonard

Building a SSMS Add-in; The Agony and Ecstasy
Mark Pryce-Maher

Understanding SQL Server Execution Plans
Klaus Aschenbrenner    
   
Through the virtual looking glass – monitoring virtualised SQL
Gavin Payne

Whats new in Denali-TSQL
Dave Ballantyne    


Other SqlBits 9 Coverage :

Update, November 2011 : 
The conference videos have been uploaded in record time and are now available at sqlbits.com



No comments: