- Perform FULL backup of source database
- Perform LOG backup of source database
- Restore FULL backup with NORECOVERY on target server
- Restore LOG backup with NORECOVERY on target server
- Right-Click Database, select Mirroring page.
- Use Wizard to configure Principal & Mirror Servers
* You may need to open port 5022 on the firewall (or whichever alternative you choose).
- Choose between High Performance (asyncronous) or High Saftey (syncronous) modes
- Start Mirroring
Adding a witness
- Create an endpoint on the new server
- Ensure the same Windows logins exist on each server & grant connect permissions
- On the Principle Server, alter the pricinipal database to use the endpoint on the new server as a witness.
- High Safety (syncronous) could slow a system if bandwidth is limited as commits need to occur on both servers.
- High Performance (asyncronous) allows the changes to be commited at the principle first.
Configure SQL Server Database Mirroring Using SSMS
Database Mirroring Tips